We’ve tried to provide as many answers here as possible to frequently asked questions. If you need more information contact Eastman and we’ll be more than happy to help.

Health Care

What happens if I decide to use an out-of-network health care professional?

Your out-of-pocket expenses, such as coinsurance and deductibles, will likely be higher than those you would pay for in-network services. You are responsible for paying any amount over the Plan's Maximum Reimbursable Charge (MRC). This means you're responsible for your coinsurance and deductibles in addition to anything above your MRC. Any amount above the MRD does not apply to your out-of-pocket maximum or deductible.

Do vision and/or dental copays count toward the deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums for health care?

Both the vision and dental plans are separate from the health plan; therefore, neither vision nor dental costs count toward your health plan deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums.

Health Savings Account (HSA)

Who is eligible for an HSA?

You are considered eligible individual for the entire year if you are an eligible individual on the first day of the last month of your tax year which is December 1 for most tax payers.

Anyone who meets the following requirements is eligible for an HSA:

  • You are enrolled in a qualified Consumer Driven Health Plan (CDHP)
  • You have no coverage other than the CDHP
  • You are not enrolled in Medicare
  • You have not used Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits in the last three months
  • You cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return

Can I have an HSA if I am 65 or older?

Yes, as long as you are not enrolled in Medicare of any other non-qualified health care plan.

Who owns the HSA?

You own the account. The HSA is your own individual account. The money in that account, including any contributions by Eastman, is yours to keep.

How much can I contribute to my HSA?

A contribution maximum is set by the IRS each year. In 2018, the maximum for an individual account is $3,450 and for a family account is $6,900. If you are 55 and older you may be able to make a catch-up contribution of an additional $1,000 per year. These limits include both your contributions and any contributions made to your account by the Company.

Can I invest the money in my HSA?

Yes. Many HSAs, including your account through Eastman, let you choose to invest your account balance in stocks/bonds, mutual funds, CDs, and/or annuities once you reach a certain dollar amount in your account.

Who can put money in my HSA?

Anyone can contribute to your HSA, however, only you as the account holder can make pre-tax contributions through payroll into your HSA.

If I deposit money into my HSA outside of Eastman payroll, will I receive a tax advantage?

Yes. You will receive a tax form from HealthEquity that details the amount you contributed to the HSA that can be filed with your annual tax return.

Do I lose the unused balance in my HSA at the end of year?

Your money continues to roll over; it’s your money. You won’t lose any unused funds. You can use the money for eligible medical expenses now or in the future.

Can I take the money out of my HSA any time I want?

Yes. You can take money out anytime tax-free and without penalty as long as it’s to pay for qualified medical expenses. If you use money for other purposes and are under age 65, you will have to pay income taxes plus a 20% penalty. If you are over 65, you will pay income taxes, but not a penalty.

Can I claim expenses for my children from my HSA account?

Yes. The money in your HSA can be used to pay for qualified medical expenses of any family member who qualified as a dependent on your tax return, even if your tax dependent is enrolled in another health plan or Medicare.

How do I contribute to my HSA?

You can elect to have pre-tax deductions taken from your paycheck. Remember that your election amount will be deducted from each pay check up to the maximum total amount allowed under IRS guidelines.

How do I change my contribution amount?

You can change your election at any time. To make changes go to MyEastman > Benefits Health & Money > Personal Zone > My Benefits > HSA Contribution.

Which states include HSA contributions in state taxable wages?

As of October 2, 2014, Alabama, California, and New Jersey include HSA contributions as state taxable wages. State laws are subject to change so be sure to research the tax implications for your state.

Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account (LPFSA)

What can I claim for reimbursement from the LPFSA?

The LPFSA can be used for eligible dental and vision expenses before you meet your health plan deductible. After you reach your health plan deductible, you can claim reimbursement for any qualified medical expense on the IRS 213(d) list.

How much can I contribute toward my LPFSA?

The maximum contribution amount for 2018 is $2,600.

What if I do not claim the entire amount by the deadline?

You forfeit the money. The LPFSA is a "use it or lose it" account meaning money left in the account that is not claimed is lost.

Can I have an LPFSA if I am not covered under one of Eastman's consumer driven health plans?

No. You must be covered under CDHP1 or CDHP2.

Can I claim expenses from my LPFSA before I have made all my payroll contributions to the LPFSA?


Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)

What is a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)?

The DCFSA, administered by Cigna, allows employees to be reimbursed for qualified day care expenses using pre-tax wages. DCFSA is for child care for dependents under age 13 or daycare for other incapacitated dependents. DCFSA is NOT used for dependent health care expenses. Expenses must be incurred in order that both you and your spouse can work. There is no debit card with the DCFSA.

How much can I contribute to a DCFSA account?

The maximum contribution amount for 2018 is $5,000 per family. For example, if you have a spouse who is contributing $2,000 to a DCFSA through his/her employer, you may only contribute up to $3,000 to your account.

Who administers the DCFSA?

Cigna is the administrator.


If my medication is on the preventive list and maintenance list, do I have to get a 90-day supply?

Yes. Any medication on the maintenance list must be dispensed in a 90-day supply in order to be covered under the Plan.

If my preventive maintenance medication is free, do I have to obtain my medication through mail order or a CVS retail pharmacy?

Yes. Mail order or CVS/pharmacy retail location pick-up is mandatory for all maintenance medications, except controlled substances.

What is a maintenance medication?

Maintenance medications are drugs you may take on a regular basis to treat conditions such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or diabetes.

Do I have to receive maintenance medications by mail?

You have two options to receive your 90-day supply of maintenance medications – through mail or pick-up in person at a CVS/pharmacy.

After the second retail fill of a maintenance medication, what will my medication costs be if I choose not to change the prescription over to mail order or a CVS retail pharmacy?

You will be responsible for 100% of the cost.

Does the cost of my prescription medications count toward my deductible and out of pocket maximum?

Yes. Prescription medication cost is combined with medical cost towards your health plan deductible and out of pocket maximum provided you get the medication at an in-network pharmacy and run the purchase through your prescription drug plan with CVS/caremark.

What are acute versus chronic medications?

Acute medications are for conditions that arise and need temporary or short-term treatment. Chronic medications are often needed for longer term care in order to manage the condition.

Do I have to get all my prescriptions filled at a CVS pharmacy?

No. You can go to any of the over 68,000 retail pharmacies in the CVS/caremark network for acute medications. However, you must use either CVS mail order or a CVS/pharmacy retail location to obtain maintenance medications.


Is there a deductible for dental coverage?

No. There is not a deductible for two Eastman’s dental plans – EastDent 1 and EastDent 2.

Do I need to show my BCBST DentalBlue identification card when I go to the dentist?

Yes. It is very important to show your identification card when you go to the dentist. This allows your dentist office to update their records so a claim can be filed with BCBST for dental services received.

How can I get information on a dental claim that has been filed?

You can get information on dental claims using www.bcbst.com/members/eastman. This website will allow you to check the status of your dental claims, print your explanation of benefits (EOB) and review other important benefit information. You may also contact the Dental Member Services department at 1-800-378-8601 for any of your dental claim questions.

How does the plan pay for out-of-network services?

With the Eastman dental plan, you may choose to see any dentist, but if you choose to visit an out-of-network dentist, you may be responsible for a larger portion of the bill, you may be required to pay the entire bill in advance, and/or you may be required to file your own dental claim. Out-of-network benefit payments are based on Reasonable and Customary (R&C) charges. The out-of-network dentist may charge above that amount. This difference, often called balance billing, would be your responsibility to pay.


Does the voluntary vision benefit mean that there is no annual eye visit as part of health plan like we have now?

If you elect to enroll in the vision plan, we would suggest that you use your vision benefit to ensure you receive the maximum benefit from the plan; however, if you do not have vision insurance, you may use your health plan insurance for your annual preventive eye exam.

How often can I receive an eye exam?

Your benefits provide 100% coverage for a preventive exam once every 12 months.

If I have an exam in June, can I go for another exam in January of the next year?

Your benefits provide for an eye exam once every 12 months. You would need to wait 12 months after your last eye exam before you can use your exam benefit again.

Can I use my HSA for additional amounts I may owe for my vision services?

Yes. Your vision expenses are considered a qualified medical expense and may be paid with an HSA.

Do my benefits accumulate if I don’t use them?

No. Your benefits do not accumulate if you do not use them. However, all members are encouraged to take advantage of their benefits by receiving an eye exam each 12 months.

Life Insurance

If I decline company-paid life insurance coverage, can I elect optional coverage?

No. Once you decline coverage, you will not have company-paid life insurance or the ability to elect optional coverage.

If I decline coverage, can I get the company-paid life insurance benefit later?

Active employees who decline coverage may re-join the Plan during a later enrollment period or during a qualifying life event at which time provide proof of good health will be required. If you are eligible for coverage in retirement and you decline coverage as an active employee, and then retire, you will not have company-paid life insurance as a retiree.

When do I have to provide proof of good health?

Proof of good health is required for any change in optional coverage greater than 1x IASR from your last election. For example, if you have 2x IASR coverage and want to move to 3x IASR, no proof is required; however, if you want to move from 2x IASR to 4x IASR, proof of good health is required.

What happens to my life insurance if I leave Eastman?

You may move your coverage to a group policy (port) or an individual life policy (convert) through Prudential.